March Quiz St. Louis Civil War Roundtable
St. Louis Civil War Roundtable
1. What was the national origin of the defenders at Ft. Griffin during the 8 September 1863
battle in East Texas?
2. What great monument in New York state is affectionately referred to by un-reconstructed Confederates as “ The Monument to Southern Marksmanship”?
3. What event on the White River during the Battle of St. Charles, Arkansas on 17 June 1862 is considered by many as the luckiest shot of the war?
4. What was the Missouri connection of Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper artist Henri Lovie?
5. What Union general, commanding an amphibious operation off the Atlantic coast, transferred himself and his staff to the most un-seaworthy vessel to demonstrate to his army that he was willing to share their risks and thereby earned their undying devotion?
6. Who succeeded the following generals after their battlefield death or serious wounding?
a. Maj. General John F. Reynolds commander of I Corps killed at Gettysburg
b. Maj. Gen. James McPherson commander of Army of the Tennessee killed at Atlanta
c. General Albert Sidney Johnston Confederate Army commander killed at Shiloh
d. LT General Leonidas Polk Confederate III Corps Commander killed at Pine Mountain
e. Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon Union Army commander killed at Wilson’s Creek
f. Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart commander of the Confederate Cavalry Corps killed at Yellow Tavern
g. LT General T J Jackson Confederate II Corps Commander wounded at Chancellorsville
Copyright© 2015 John A. Nischwitz